When the number of vehicles or personnel differs significantly from this average, details are given.
The checkpoints regularly dispatch armoured patrols into surrounding towns and villages.
This map gives an overview of the current checkpoint situation:
At 22:00 on 25 August, the Ministry of Interior confirmed 12 checkpoints in central Georgia (Shida Kartli and other areas adjacent to South Ossetia, as well as in parts of South Ossetia that were never part of the conflict). Their location is given on the map below, a list follows.
List of checkpoints in Central Georgia
- Perevi (Sachkhere district)
- Ghodora (Sachkhere district)
- Muguti (Znauri district)
- Ali (Khashuri district)
- Ptsa (Kareli district)
- Variani (Gori district)
- Karaleti (Gori district)
- Shavshvebi (Gori district)
- Ergneti (Gori district)
- Tsiara (Java district)
- Ikoti (Akhalgori district) 7 infantry combat vehicles, 1 armoured vehicle, 6 Ural-type vehicles, 2 Gaz-66 vehicles, 1 military power shovel, 1 mobile medical unit, 2 grenade launchers, trenches, and 100 soldiers
- Meghvrekisi and Brotsleti (Gori district) A large concentration of about 150 vehicles, most of them armoured, are stationed between the villages.
At 22:00 on 25 August, the Ministry of Interior confirmed at least 20 checkpoints in western Georgia (Samegrelo, Svaneti, Upper Kodori, Gali, Ochamchire). Their location is given on the map below, a list follows.
Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Region
- Teklati (near Senaki) - 5 armoured vehicles, 1 crane, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 vehicle with communication systems, 1 UAZ-type vehicle, 1 GAZ-type car, 1 large army tent, trenches are dug, 40 Russian servicemen
- Pirveli Maisi (Khobi district) - Near former Georgian police check-point: armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 UAZ-type vehicle, 1 large army tent, trenches are dug, 40 Russian servicemen
- Between Shua Khorga and Chaladidi (Khobi district) - Near the turning to Kulevi oil terminal: 4 armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 large army tent, 30 Russian servicemen
- Menji (Senaki district) - In the Bakaraia neighborhood of the town, on the grounds of the Menji sanatorium, about 10 meters from the railroad: 3 armoured vehicle, 4 Ural-type vehicle, 2 cranes, 1 military power shovel, 1 large army tent, 40 Russian servicemen
- Kantisubani (Tsalenjikha district) - On the Tsalenjikha-Chkhorotsku road: (3 armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 large army tent, trenches are dug, 30 Russian servicemen
- Chale and Muzhava (Tsalenjikha district) - At the entrances of the two villages: 3 armoured vehicles, 1 Ural-type vehicle, 20 Russian servicemen
- Chkhorotsku - On an old airfield, near the Senaki-Chkhorotsku highway: 3 armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 vehicle with electricity generator, 2 large army tents, 40 Russian servicemen
- Nabada (a suburb of Poti) - 2 armoured vehicles, 1 Ural-type vehicle, 1 UAZ-type vehicle, 1 military power shovel, 1 large army tent, 30 Russian servicemen
- Meore Gudava
- Mount Kvira
Upper Abkhazia/Kodori Gorge
Sources report substantial Russian and Abkhaz deployments in the region. Howver, access is currently impossible, precluding an accurate count of Russian and Abkhaz personnel deployed.
Colonel-general Anatoly Nogovitsin, the deputy head of the Russian General Staff, listed the following additional checkpoints during a press conference on 22 August:
Estimated number of personnel and equipment at illegal checkpoints:
- Russian servicemen: 970
- Armoured vehicles: 66
- Infatry combat vehicles: 7
- Grenade launchers: 2
- Ural-type vehicles: 22
- UAZ-type vehicle: 3
- Gaz-66 vehicles: 2
- Vilis-type car: 1
- Military Army tents: 8
- Cranes: 3
- Military power shovel: 3
- Vehicle with communication systems: 1
- Vehicle with electricity generator: 1
- Mobile medical unit: 1